I discovered this Chorizo Gouda Taco Salad recipe while making chorizo-gouda jalapeño poppers, and I had a bit of mixture left over. What better way to finish it off than to plop it on a salad? This is a quick lunch or dinner recipe for those who enjoy a Mexican-style dish enhanced with a unique flavor. Gouda is a creamy, rich cheese that compliments the spicy flavor of the chorizo. In past recreations of this dish, I’ve added peppers, but to keep it extra keto-friendly, I skipped the added carbs. Some people may want salsa (if you can find a carb-friendly version) or chopped tomatoes. Mix it up!
As many people discover with keto, salads of all kinds: taco, egg, cheeseburger, chicken, tuna, etc., go a long way when meal planning and incorporating a healthy amount of fats/proteins/carbs. Salads are convenient for applying a distinct flavor, and add basic fiber, essential proteins, and fats. I urge you to try Chorizo Gouda Taco Salad because it’s something new and unique to many taste buds. Probably one of the best salad recipes. If you’re not fond of the spicy flavor of chorizo, you could always use ground beef and add seasoning to liven up the dish.
The Best Chorizo Gouda Taco Salad
- ½ pound ground chorizo
- 1 cup smoked Gouda shredded
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 5 cups Romaine lettuce chopped (salad base)
- ⅔ cup sour cream topping
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese shredded (topping)
- 1 medium lime juiced
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Slice bacon into 1-inch sections or smaller.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add ground chorizo, bacon, and red onion and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the frying pan and brown the meat until golden.
- Turn to low heat, and add smoked Gouda, mix in and let soften.
- Remove from heat, so it does not overcook the chorizo or cheese.
- In a salad bowl, add Romaine lettuce, and top with chorizo-Gouda mixture.
- Slice lime in half, squeeze over top of the salad, and serve (add sour cream and Cheddar to each individual salad).