German Cucumber Salad is one of the easiest and most satisfying sides, especially during the summer. Growing up, we didn’t eat very many salads, and it took me traveling to the other side of the world to experience a really good salad.
I first tasted this cucumber salad in Germany, and I fell in love. I wanted to make a salad that resembled my mother’s. One ingredient that is missing is Quark. It’s a European cream resembling sour cream. I haven’t found Quark being sold here, so I substitute it with yogurt and sour cream.
This German Cucumber Salad is delicious and easy to make. I find myself making this salad at least once a week during the summer months. This salad never lasts an evening in my house. As soon as I place it on the table, it quickly disappears into the hands of my family.
Easy German Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers
- ¼ medium onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½-1 cup Greek yogurt full fat
- 1 teaspoon dill
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Peel the cucumbers with a potato peeler.
- Slice cucumbers thinly with a mandolin.
- Place slices in a bowl. Add salt and stir. Optional: Add ¼ onion. Cut thin slices and add to the bowl before stirring in the salt.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for at least thirty minutes. The salt will pull all the water out of the cucumbers.
- Drain water
- Add Greek yogurt, sour cream, and dill. Stir and serve!