This Mexican Chicken Salad is one of our favorite chicken salad meals and came about by accident and inspiration.
I had seen something similar to Mexican Chicken Salad on ‘The Pioneer Woman’ cookery show on television (the inspiration). Then I found I had loads of salad items in the fridge that needed to be used up (the accident). I have really only meant for this recipe to be a guide.
You could really put in whatever you like or have to hand in the salad drawer. I marinate my own chicken with whatever we are in the mood for and cook it ahead. But you could use whatever marinade you prefer and barbecue if preferred.
It really is worth buying the corn on the cob and char grilling it to get the extra smoky charred flavor. I use a griddle pan, but I am sure a barbecue would work just as well.
As always, we like to get what produce we can from producers, markets and farm shops. As they are so local to us, our local markets are particular favorites, although we do visit other markets near our town quite regularly.
The chicken breasts we got from our local market were the other inspiration for this Mexican Chicken Salad recipe.
Easy Mexican Chicken Salad
- 2 slices chicken breasts skinless
- 1 handful coriander chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium lime juiced and zested
- 1 small red chili finely chopped
- 2 medium corn cobs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ medium cucumber sliced and halved
- 3 medium tomatoes cored and chopped
- ¼ medium red onion finely sliced and cut in half
- 4 stalks spring onions sliced
- 1 medium avocado halved and sliced
- 1 head little gem lettuce a few leaves, cored and cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 handful small coriander chopped
- ½ medium lime juiced
- 1 pinch sweet paprika
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- Place all the ingredients except the chicken into a bowl and mix.
- Add the chicken breasts, cover and leave to marinate for at least two hours and overnight if possible.
- Once marinated, bring to room temperature and cook at 180°C (Gas 4) for 25 minutes.
- Allow to rest and cut each into slices ready to add to the salad.
- The chicken can be served warm or cooked ahead and served cold as you prefer.
- Heat a griddle pan.
- Lightly rub the corn cobs with a little olive oil and place them on the griddle pan.
- Keep turning the cobs until they are lightly charred all over, and then allow them to cool slightly.
- Standing the cobs on their ends on a chopping board, slice downwards with a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels.
- Prepare and chop the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, spring onions and lettuce and place them in 2 serving bowls/plates.
- For the dressing, place the sour cream, half the lime juice and half the coriander in a bowl and mix.
- Divide the corn kernels between the serving bowls.
- Prepare the avocado and add this to the salad. Add a drizzle of lime juice to each and toss well.
- Place the sliced chicken on top of the salad.
- Add a large spoonful of dressing on top of each salad and a pinch of sweet paprika
- Serve as it is or with tortilla chips or toasted corn tortillas.