I’m sharing my recipe for Vegan Chickpea Salad! I know that there are a lot of versions of chickpea salad out there, but I, of course, think that mine is the best. It takes less than 10 minutes, has excellent texture, and has amazing flavour.
Chickpea “tuna” salad is a staple in my house. When I want something quick and easy, I turn to it every time. There is satiating protein from the chickpeas to keep me full, and it’s just tasty.
It also might have something to do with eating a lot – I mean a lot – of tuna melts in my childhood. Whenever my dad was left to make us kiddos dinner, it was always tuna melts.
This vegan chickpea recipe is one of my favourites for a reason. There is a lot of texture from the celery, carrots, and red onion, and the sweet relish gives it that perfect salty/sweet kick. Every bite is crunchy, creamy, and beyond delicious.
And, of course, we can’t forget about the vegan mayo. I love a good vegan mayo, and it’s essential to make this vegan chickpea salad recipe how I remember it from childhood.
Alright, let’s get into how I make this recipe so you can get to making it for yourself!
Easy Vegan Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- ½ stalk celery diced
- ½ medium carrot diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain the juice from a small can of chickpeas and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- With a potato masher, mash the drained chickpeas until they are minced but have some texture.
- Set aside.
- Dice celery, carrot and red onion and add to the mixing bowl
- Add vegan mayo, sweet relish, mustard and all spices to the mixing bowl.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Serve the salad right away or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.