I had this fresh Italian salad when I went out last month with friends to try this new Italian restaurant in our neighbourhood. I have to say that they serve a good selection of delicious salads that I have to try at home–so I did! Here’s the homemade version of the salad I am very proud of!
- 8 ounces of cut Genoa salami
- 8 ounces of soppressata or other hard salami, cut into small
- 8 ounces of sliced sharp provolone cheese
- 8 ounces of sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 large cut tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can of artichokes, drained and quartered
- 1/2 12-ounce jar of roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup of pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup of pitted and chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
- Combine Genoa and soppressata salami, provolone, mozzarella, tomatoes, and artichokes in a big bowl.
- Cut the peppers and add them to the mix, along with about 3 tablespoons of the juice.
- Mix in the chopped olives. Drizzle olive oil over the entire dish, followed by red wine vinegar and black pepper. This Italian salad can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until serving.
- Tear off the fresh basil leaves into bite-sized pieces and add to salad just before serving. Stir and serve