This starter is a simple and easy recipe, but I love simple red cabbage salad!
Raw red cabbage has such a wonderful color that it’s just some happiness on a plate.
Moreover, red cabbage salad is suitable for everyone. It’s a healthy starter that you can combine with numerous colored ingredients such as avocado, corn, string bean, or onion, for instance. This salad is also a great barbecue side dish!
This Simple Red Cabbage Salad is also great if you go on a slimming diet (as me at the moment…)but you have to take great care of the salad dressing:
Season with more lemon than olive oil!
Some chop red cabbage roughly to make this salad, but I prefer a very thinly sliced red cabbage, and I use a mandolin instead of a food processor to get it. But using a mandolin takes more time and is harder…
If you buy a medium head of red cabbage, you’ll get a big, very big bowl of simple red cabbage salad but don’t worry:
It keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days, and it’s so delicious that you won’t toss any!
After 1 day in the fridge, the salad dressing works a bit as a marinade:
Simple red cabbage salad stays crunchy in spite of lemon juice and vinegar, but the flavor of the salad dressing totally impregnates red cabbage, and it’s heavenly!
Simple Red Cabbage Salad
- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Make first the salad dressing: Squeeze lemon and pour juice into a large salad bowl. Add Dijon mustard, olive oil, and Balsamic vinegar. Beat together.
- Wash the red cabbage and cut it into chunks.
- Slice thinly with a mandolin, put in a salad bowl with the salad dressing, and toss.