This Basil Vinaigrette Dressing is a quick and easy salad vinaigrette dressing recipe in basil, honey, lime, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and water for a zero cholesterol meal. Add to a mixed salad, and you have a zero cholesterol, easy, healthy side dish, no cooking skills required!
The secret ingredient in vinaigrette is water; otherwise, you end up with a much thicker dressing. All you need to do is add the ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake it just before serving. Then, add more water and lime or a thinner dressing, add more garlic or oil for a thicker dressing.
Do a taste test: if the basil vinaigrette tastes too salty and too sour, it should be just right to be used over your salad. Only pour any salt containing dressing over a salad right for serving. Otherwise, the salt will make the salad leaves mushy.
Basil Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 small handful basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 ½ medium lemon juice or calamansi lime
- 1 small garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt or less teaspoon
- 1 pinch pepper
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of honey, put it in a little jar and pour the bit of hot water over it so that the honey can dissolve.
- Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the garlic fine, squeeze it further with the side of your knife and add to the little jar.
- Cut the basil leaves finely and add to the jar.
- Screw the lid on the jar. Just before serving, shake it rigorously and pour over your salad. Put a lid on your salad bowl, shake everything around and serve immediately.