My grandparents had a tiny farm southeast of Boston where they raised quarter horses, had the obligatory dog, and an occasional goat and pig. Their neighbours, Russ and Doris, had horses and chickens. I would routinely sit and watch their plumed tenants pecking around the yard, scratching the dirt, and forcefully clucking at each other. Their feathers would be ruffled over tiny turf wars and other mysterious unfolding dramas. Russ would toss dried corn at the clucking masses, and it was great fun to gawk at their inability to share a good meal. So is it any surprise that the combination of corn and chicken salad tastes so good?
After watching the joy that just a simple handful of corn provides a flock of poultry, it’s obvious why they’re a marriage made in hen houses.
It was a warm day, and I craved a corn and chicken salad for dinner. So after perusing the fridge and cabinets to see what I had on hand, I took a ride to Whole Foods to pick up a few ears of corn and a whole roasted chicken. Here’s what you’ll need.
Delicious Corn and Chicken Salad Recipe
Corn and Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 1 whole chicken roasted
- 3 ears corn
- 2 cups jasmine rice cooked
- 1 medium jalapeno
- ½ medium red onion minced and rinsed
- ⅓ cup feta crumbled
- 1 medium lemon zested and juiced
- 1 medium avocado ripe
- ⅓ cup basil chiffonade julienned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 pinch sugar
Corn and Chicken Salad Instructions
- Husk the ears and shave the corn off of the cobs. Add the oil and butter to a cast iron pan (or non-stick) and put on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the corn. Cook the corn until it’s slightly charred.
- Julienne the jalapeno pepper and dice it into small pieces.
- Dice the avocado.
- Shred the chicken and placed it in a large bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl containing the chicken. Make your dressing.
- A pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the vinegar, Dijon, salt, sugar, and pepper to a small bowl. Mix.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and mix again until well emulsified. Add the dressing to the salad and mix well again. Enjoy.