Today I’ve taken my favorite recipe for chicken salad and melted it into an ooey, gooey, melty sandwich; oh, yum! This recipe for basil chicken salad melts is actually from my sister! She made it a couple of years ago, and I’ve never made chicken salad any other way. So now, I’ve taken it up another notch (if that was possible) and made it even better.
This is a great lunch or dinner treat and ultimately comforting even on a hot summer!
Easy Basil Chicken Salad Melts
If you have some leftover chicken salad, it's so easy to turn them into sandwich just like in this easy basil chicken salad melts.
- 2 slices bread whole wheat or your favorite bread
- 2 slices cheddar
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup basil chicken salad
Basil Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 1 whole roasted chicken shredded (bones removed)
- 1 cup pecans diced
- 1 large apple diced (small dice)
- 2 large celery sticks diced (small dice)
- ½ cup basil diced
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup horseradish sauce
- To make chicken salad, combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well to combine, and refrigerate to cool (if not creamy enough, add more mayo and horseradish as needed to taste).
- To make melts (after the chicken salad has “cooled” for at least one hour to get flavors melded), preheat a small frying pan or skillet to medium heat. Spray the pan with vegetable spray, and add one slice of bread. Top with sliced cheese, chicken salad, mozzarella, and the second slice of bread. Top the sandwich with a small piece of aluminum foil and a second pan with some sort of weight inside (like a large can of pumpkin or beans). Cook the sandwich on the first side for 2 to 3 minutes (or until lightly browned). Remove the top pan, flip the sandwich, and return the foil and second pan (with weight) to the top of the browned side. Cook on the second side (to melt the cheese and brown the bread) for 2 to 3 minutes (you may need to reduce the heat to medium-low).
- Also good is a slice of tomato, which you would place between the chicken salad and mozzarella cheese.
Calories: 1130kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 19gFat: 94gSaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 26gMonounsaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 3262mgPotassium: 593mgFiber: 12gSugar: 26gVitamin A: 1712IUVitamin C: 21mgCalcium: 418mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.