After eating my way through downtown last week and weekend, I was craving something lighter and (somewhat) healthier. So I fired up the grill and recreated one of my favourite restaurant salads at home: BBQ ranch chicken salad.
Start out by seasoning and grilling two chicken breasts over medium heat. Unfortunately, I got distracted by my small people and let these grill a little too long. Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce during the last few minutes of grilling.
Then heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and roast the corn. The rest is a matter of chopping lettuce and dicing tomatoes, shredding some cheddar cheese, rinsing black beans, crushing some tortilla chips and assembling the BBQ ranch chicken salad. So how’s that the whole family will love for a quick, light weeknight meal?
Enjoyable BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ¾ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup corn drained
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup tortilla chips crushed
- ½ cup BBQ sauce divided
- ¼ cup Ranch dressing light
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Season the skinless chicken breasts with some salt and pepper on both sides. Cook chicken for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side (until cooked thoroughly through). Baste the cooked chicken breasts with ¼ cup of BBQ sauce. Remove from grill and set aside for 3 to 4 minutes. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add corn and roast until slightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Layer lettuce, tortilla chips, black beans, corn, tomato and cheddar cheese in a large salad bowl. Place grilled chicken on top. Drizzle with Ranch dressing and remaining BBQ sauce.