Numerous recipes are available for different types of potato salad, but nothing can compare to a delicious authentic German potato salad recipe. What differentiates German potato salad from your average American potato salad is the lack of mayonnaise or the creamy texture we have to come to expect. Make no mistake, however, this German potato salad is bursting with flavour and is equally as delicious.
Any authentic German potato salad recipe will generally call for bacon, and it uses vinaigrette in place of the traditionally used mayonnaise. This recipe is served warm in the southern part of Germany and is called Kartoffelsalat. In the northern area of Germany, the potato salad is much more similar to the traditional American style and includes the use of mayonnaise.
To make this German potato salad recipe, you will need a large pot to boil the potatoes in, both a medium-sized and small-sized pan, a knife, and a stove-top.
Authentic German Potato Salad With Bacon Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes
- 4 ounces bacon sliced
- 2 medium red onions
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ⅓ cup veal broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard prepared
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 handful parsley
- Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until they are soft almost all the way through. Peel potatoes right away. Then, let the potatoes cool for a minimum of 3 to 3 hours. Cut them into approximately one-quarter to an inch or 1/2 inch slices.
- Dice the onions and bacon. Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and bacon and continue to cook until the onions begin to soften and the bacon is browned.
- Add the vinegar and reduce it slightly.
- Add the veal broth and stir in the prepared mustard until it dissolves completely. Season the mix with salt and pepper to taste. Pour this mixture over the cut potatoes. Let it rest for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter into a small pan and allow it to brown. Let it cool and pour over the potato salad. Cut the chives or parsley and garnish generously before serving.