This Healthy Mayonnaise-Free Potato Salad was a huge hit at the picnic we went to last weekend! I made two batches, like three pounds of potatoes, and it was all gone! But, it was a favourite with everyone. It was pretty cool.
The most consistent comment to this salad was, “I love that it’s not covered in mayonnaise!” Yes, that’s right. This has no mayonnaise, which makes it even more delicious. And that is why I made it!
Potato salad does not have to be dripping in greasy mayonnaise. This mayonnaise-free potato salad is chock full of vegetables and protein.
Healthy Mayonnaise-Free Potato Salad Recipe
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper freshly ground
- ¼ pound green beans washed and trimmed
- 1 ¼ pound potatoes washed and quartered
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley washed and roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint washed and roughly chopped
- 4 small green olives pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard whole-grain
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare a bowl of ice for the green beans. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the green beans, and cook until bright green, tender, and crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the green beans to the bowl of ice water and let stand for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain the beans and put in a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until just about tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and add the potatoes to the green beans.
- Add the chickpeas, onion, parsley, mint, olives, and capers to the green beans and potatoes.
- Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the salad, toss to coat, and serve. You may add more greens if you prefer.