Juicy plump shrimp meets superfood quinoa in this light Shrimp Quinoa Salad tossed with an easy Asian dressing.
If you don’t know yet, quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wah’) is all the hype now. Besides being wheat-free, this grain-like crop is by far the best alternative to our starchy staples.
Like rice and couscous, quinoa also has a subtle, slightly nutty flavour, making it easy to pair with almost anything. Once cooked, it has a fluffy and creamy texture with a slight crunch.
Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids making it a complete source of protein. It also contains Vitamins B and E and is a good source of fibre. So time to switch out that bag of rice with this quick and easy-to-cook grain, starting with this Asian Shrimp Quinoa Salad recipe!
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 fresh limes, zest and juice
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup of spring onions, chopped
- 12 shrimps, deshelled and deveined
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Cook your quinoa following the packet instructions. Cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of chicken stock for about 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, prepare the dressing. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, red chilli, garlic, and ginger in a small saucepan. Warm the ingredients and let sizzle for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add in honey, sesame oil, lime zest (reserving some for garnish) and juice of 1 lime. Set aside.
- Season the shrimp on both sides with freshly ground black pepper and paprika. In a sauté pan, pour in the remaining olive oil. Add shrimps and cook for 1 minute. Drizzle in the soy sauce and juice of 1 lime. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cut into chunks
- Once the quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and add the warm dressing. Toss to combine. Mix in the bell pepper, carrot and spring onions. Pour into a serving bowl and top with shrimp chunks and remaining lime zest.