This tangy quinoa black bean salad recipe is perfect for a side salad before lunch and dinner with your entree. Although you should only have 1/2 cup of serving each of quinoa and black beans, this quinoa black bean salad shouldn’t be your main meal but a side dish.
If you want to eat this salad for light lunch, not dinner, then omit the avocado.
Tangy Quinoa Black Bean Salad With Avocado and Cumin-Lime Dressing
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado chopped into wedges
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes divided into 4 equal parts
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped into chunks
- 1 handful cilantro diced
- 1 medium lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes until it starts smelling a nutty flavour.
- Add water and stir once, cover it with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, make all the other ingredients., Prepare its dressing by mixing the lime juice, oil, cumin, and salt. This will serve as a good taste filler. Adjust seasoning when required.
- When the quinoa is properly cooked, remove it from heat and fluff it with a fork. Add the rinsed black beans and toss to warm them through.
- Cool the quinoa for about 5 minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients, including the dressing, and mix it. Adjust seasoning if required.