Since moving and starting work, I’ve had a lot less time to spend in the kitchen, so I’m always making food that is fast to prepare but also delicious. One of my go-to recipes is chickpea tuna salad, which is great to serve on bread as a sandwich or simply by itself. Most of these ingredients you might already have in your fridge and pantry, so it’s great to throw together when you’re in a hurry or just feeling lazy.
Many people aren’t into the fishy flavor of typical canned tuna, so this is great for those who might be picky eaters or if you’re looking to cut down on meat/fish. This can be prepared the night before work or school, so all you have to do is pack it up in the morning and take it on the go!
Yummy Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 1 can chickpeas strained and rinsed, that have been packed in water
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ small red onion finely chopped
- Pour chickpeas, mayo, lemon juice, and seasonings into a bowl. With a potato masher or fork, mash the chickpeas, breaking them apart. If you have time, you can remove the skins off the chickpeas, but I leave them on since I need to be more active. Try to mash them till they resemble flakey tuna, or keep it chunky for more texture.
- Next, stir in your celery and red onion until well combined. Finally, you can serve your tuna over leftover pasta, toasted bread, or as is!