This Flavourful Thai Shrimp Salad Cups recipe is so simple that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how many ways you can prepare it. I placed it in butter lettuce cups and mused that I could’ve used it to build rice paper salad wraps. The delicate richness of the dressing makes it light, and the zesty tang of the lime and sambal oelek sharpens it just right.
I used raw shrimp and, in doing so, had the opportunity to garner a bit of prawn stock starter. If you like, you can use already-cooked shrimp and skip the step of boiling and cooling.
Now: What you want to use as a wrapper for this delicious blend can be up to you. I used lettuce cups and gave them the name Thai salad shrimp cups. There really is no right or wrong way to finish these up; the next time I do this recipe may have a different presentation platform altogether.
One of my favourite things about having done this Thai shrimp salad cups recipe is its visuals–the bright, inviting colours and the fine, delicate details that are the hallmarks of Thai cuisine.
Flavourful Thai Shrimp Salad Cups Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 whole green onion
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ medium lime zested
- 1 medium lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Set a pot of water to boil.
- Once the water is boiling, lay the shrimp in and entirely cook the shrimp (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove the shrimp and cool immediately in a cold water bath. Save the water for later to make a seafood stock for other recipes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and emulsified in a food processor.
- Mix the shrimp and dressing together in a bowl.
- Serve it over a salad, in lettuce cups or wrapped in rice paper wraps.