A typical Caprese salad is made with mozzarella cheese, but I’m not a fan of mozzarella. So instead, substitute feta or sharp cheddar that can stand up to a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and it’s simply a fresh summer tomato salad.
This Fresh Summer Tomato Salad recipe will make two side portions, or enough for one person if eaten as a main dish. It’s super fast and light but delicious. You’ll love making this tomato salad during warm months for sure!
Fresh Summer Tomato Salad
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 56 leaves basil julienned
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- If using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. If using large tomatoes, cut them into bite-sized pieces. Into a bowl, they go.
- Stack the basil leaves on top of each other and roll into a cigar shape. Cut into slices. This will give you ribbon (or julienne) shaped basil strips. Add them to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Add the cheese to the tomatoes and basil.
- In a separate bowl or cup, mix the vinegar and olive oil with a fork until well blended, and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over tomatoes, basil and cheese.