A typical Caprese salad is made with mozzarella cheese, but I’m not a fan of mozzarella. So instead, substitute feta or sharp cheddar that can stand up to a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and it’s simply a fresh summer tomato salad.
This Fresh Summer Tomato Salad recipe will make two side portions, or enough for one person if eaten as a main dish. It’s super fast and light but delicious. You’ll love making this tomato salad during warm months for sure!
Fresh Summer Tomato Salad
This fresh summer tomato salad is a heaven-sent! It's like Caprese salad, but slightly better! I always loved this recipe and I know you'll love it too.Edit Snippet
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 56 leaves basil julienned
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- If using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. If using large tomatoes, cut them into bite-sized pieces. Into a bowl, they go.
- Stack the basil leaves on top of each other and roll into a cigar shape. Cut into slices. This will give you ribbon (or julienne) shaped basil strips. Add them to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Add the cheese to the tomatoes and basil.
- In a separate bowl or cup, mix the vinegar and olive oil with a fork until well blended, and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over tomatoes, basil and cheese.
Calories: 230kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 4gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 479mgPotassium: 193mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1257IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 137mgIron: 1mg
Feedback is key!Let us know how this recipe worked out for you.