This Spiced Lentil Salad recipe is a tasty make-ahead dish that’s great as a side dish with baked chicken or fish. It is also perfect as part of a buffet. But actually, I like it so much I want to make it a meal of it, a nice big bowl full of lots of crusty bread and butter.
Puy lentils are a good source of protein for vegetarians and vegans; they are low in fat and make you feel full, so you are less likely to have snack attacks. It’s pretty much an all-around winner!
Spiced Lentil Salad Recipe
- 250 grams lentils rinsed well under running water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 9 small sundried tomatoes in oil roughly chopped
- 2 large red chillies deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt for seasoning
- Simmer the lentils in a pan of unsalted water until they are cooked but still have a slight bite. This will take about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat your oil in a frying pan and gently sauté the onions for five minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes or so until the onions are softened and golden. Add the chilli, garlic and salt and continue to sauté for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the oregano, cumin and black pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes, ensuring the mixture does not catch.
- Mix the sauce into the cooked lentils. Taste the dish and add salt as necessary, stirring well to ensure the salt is evenly distributed.
- Cool and chill the lentil salad in the fridge until needed.