I get bored of eating the regular lettuce, tomato, maybe a bit of pepper salad for lunch. I always have a fridge and cupboard full of vegetables, though, making something a little different that little bit easier. This morish summer bean salad was a product of one of those days where I just wanted to experiment, and it was so good that I had it for the rest of the week in my lunchbox at work! So give it a try and serve with some BBQ’d meat if you’re feeling a little adventurous.
Summer Bean Salad
- 1 can mixed beans
- 1 bunch beans trimmed
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium beetroot boiled
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Take your can of mixed beans, open and drain. Make sure you rinse them thoroughly as sometimes there’s a horrible thick layer of water over the beans–you don’t want that!
- Into a bowl, add your mixed beans (usually include things like kidney beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, trimmed beans, etc.).
- In a separate bowl, pour boiling water over your trimmed beans and blanch for 5 minutes. This warms up the beans but still gives them a lovely flavour and crunch.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add your canned mixed beans and trimmed beans and toss.
- Finely dice a red onion and beetroot and toss into the large mixing bowl. Then add your apple cider vinegar, olive oil and sesame oil and toss. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes and serve with sesame seeds on top.