My chicken waldorf salad recipe is delightfully creamy, sweet, and crunchy. You’ll love this chicken Waldorf salad if you like those in that combination. Easy to prepare and quick to make, this is a staple midweek salad supper you will want to take advantage of.
A week goes by without making the time to poach a chicken or two in the household. Call me crazy, but I get a lot of satisfaction from using the bird in its entirety. I’ll be doing a feature on this in the next few weeks so you can see for yourself the cooking method and the endless possibilities on how to use the meat and stock after that. Here is the tutorial.
My mum and I are at constant loggerheads when debating the sweet and savory combination. So naturally, nothing is more shameless than placing two such tastes on one plate for her. For me, however, I find the amalgamation quite divine. So for those who agree, this chicken Waldorf salad is for you!
Provided the chicken has already been cooked, this chicken Waldorf salad can be prepared in under 10 minutes. The bonus here is that it is also low-carb, making it an excellent choice for a midweek supper or a lunchbox breaktime meal.
The Ultimate Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 1 kilogram chicken breast roasted
- 5 sticks celery sliced
- 6 sprigs spring onions scallions, sliced, including the greens
- 50 grams walnuts toasted and chopped.
- 2 medium apple braeburn, cored and diced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons tarragon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Wash the salad leaves and keep them in ice water until ready to serve.
- Toast the walnuts and chop them into chunks set if you have not already done so. Leave to cool.
- Shred the meat from the chicken and set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar, add in the garlic and a little sea salt and pound to make a paste.
- Add the natural yogurt, mayonnaise, tarragon, garlic paste, chicken, celery, spring onions, and apples in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Season and taste.
- Drain and spin dry the salad leaves and arrange them on the plate(s)
- Spoon over the chicken Waldorf mix.
- Top with the toasted chopped walnuts.