Chicken salad is a great summer staple because it’s so customizable. There are endless combinations of fruits, vegetables and flavourings that you can add. Because I used Chobani yogurt in this version, I knew I wanted to keep the ingredients on the savoury side. Yogurt isn’t as sweet as mayo, so I didn’t want to get into apple, grape or raisin combinations. But all of the ingredients I use in deviled eggs would pair up perfectly with Greek yogurt, so Deviled Chicken Salad was born. Mustard, horseradish and paprika make up the flavour base, like in deviled eggs, diced celery, and slivered almonds add fantastic crunch.
For this deviled chicken salad recipe, I used the meat from both breasts and wings from a rotisserie chicken and saved the leg and thigh pieces for another meal. And I was careful to remove all the skin and extra fat before I chopped it into small pieces. Of course, you can use any leftover or precooked chicken you like.
I love the flavour of whole wheat tortillas to make wraps, but this deviled chicken salad would be good on bread, croissants, or even scooped up on some crackers. This salad is cool and creamy with just the right amount of kick. You might even decide that you prefer chicken salad over the heavy, full-fat, mayo kind, just like I have! And if you’re looking for more ways to substitute Chobani into your everyday recipes, check out madewithchobani.com for all the inspiration you’ll need.
Amazing Deviled Chicken Salad Recipe
- 5 ounces Greek yogurt fat-free
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 ½ cup chicken fully cooked and chopped
- ⅓ cup celery finely diced
- ⅓ cup almonds slivered
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- ½ bunch lettuce
- Start by making the dressing. Using a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mustard, horseradish and paprika.
- Mix well, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, diced celery, and almonds.
- Add the dressing to the salad a little at a time (I used almost all of my dressing, but you can add more or less, depending on your preference).
- Stir gently until thoroughly combined.
- Taste the chicken salad and season with salt and pepper (the need for salt and pepper will depend on what chicken you use and if it is seasoned already).
- Warm up tortillas in the microwave until soft, about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Place some lettuce in the middle of each tortilla, top with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the chicken salad, and place more lettuce on top of the salad.
- Roll tightly (Makes about 3 or 4 wraps).
- Store leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.