Potato Salad is the ultimate side dish. It pairs well with almost anything, especially my Vegan Chili Cheese Dogs recipe. Typically a dish associated with summertime and barbecues, it can easily be enjoyed all year round. This recipe makes a rich and creamy Vegan Potato Salad, and fresh dill adds a complex flavour.
The first potato salad recipes were documented in the 16th century in Europe, when explores brought back potatoes from South America. Potato salads are typically vinegar-based and often have some sort of cream additives such as mayonnaise or sour cream. Veganaise is a delightful tangy substitute for the vegan version. Potato salads are usually served chilled or at room temperature.
Not only is Vegan Potato Salad inexpensive, but it’s also great for serving large amounts of people.
- 3 pounds of potatoes
- 3/4 cup of veganaise (or any vegan mayo)
- 1/4 Tofutti of sour cream (or any vegan sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup of fresh chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1/4 cup of chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt
- Rinse all potatoes, and quarter each one, so you have large bite-sized chunks of potatoes.
- Put them to a large pot filled with cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Let cook for roughly 15 minutes. Check the potatoes before straining into a large strainer to ensure they are nice and tender. Be careful not to overcook.
- After the water is drained, keep the potatoes in the strainer and place them in the large empty pot. Keep the burner on medium heat, causing any excess water to steam out the potatoes for another 15 minutes. Set the potatoes aside in your mixing bowl to let them cool until they reach room temperature.
- Add the vegan mayo, vegan sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, fresh dill, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a mixing bowl. Mix together well. Refrigerate until potatoes have cooled down.
- Once the potatoes have reached room temperature, add the creamy mixture and the chopped onion, celery, and red pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!