During the summer, I get excited to wander the farmer’s market. I love perusing the varieties of summer squash and thinking up combinations I can utilize my grill for. I make slight variations of this Summer Vegetable Barley Salad recipe every year.
The core ingredients of summer vegetables, whole grain and basil vinaigrette, stay the same. This is a great make-ahead dish for summer guests and barbecues. I prep everything and then leave plating the arugula for the last bit. The barley and vegetables are filling, while the basil dressing adds a nice fresh bite.
Hearty Summer Vegetable Barley Salad
- 2 cups barley hulled, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup cucumber grilled
- ⅓ cup olives
- ½ cup tomatoes sliced
- 1 ¼ cups olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil firmly packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Spray a medium-hot grill with extra virgin olive oil non-stick spray.
- Grill vegetables in batches until they begin to lose their buoyancy and have grill marks on both sides (varies based on the vegetable).
- Set vegetables aside to cool.
- Place the 2 cloves of garlic in a food processor and run until minced.
- Add the basil and while the food processor is running, begin to stream in the white wine vinegar and the olive oil.
- Run into everything fully incorporated; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the bottom of a serving dish with the arugula.
- Cube the grilled vegetables and mix them with the barley.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pile the barley and vegetable mixture on the arugula.
- Can add extra basil or arugula to the top as a garnish.