I don’t have much to say about this Refreshing Mango Quinoa Salad Recipe other than that it is delicious, healthy and satisfying. I created this salad on the first scorching hot day of mango season last year when I got excited about summer and went out and bought a huge bag. It really hit the spot, and I have made it repeatedly. I found myself craving it a few days ago and thought it was time I shared the recipe here. I often hesitate to share such simple things, but sometimes the simple things are the best.
This Refreshing Mango Quinoa Salad doesn’t need a dressing, as the acidity from the lime juice, the saltiness from the quinoa, and the mango juice make it a ‘self-dressing’ salad. It’s high-protein, oil-free, and once the quinoa is cooked, it can be thrown together in five minutes. It makes a beautiful lunch or weeknight dinner, or a fantastic pot-luck or BBQ contribution.
Refreshing Mango Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa mixed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 2 medium mangoes sweet
- 1 sweet avocado diced
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 sweet carrots grated
- ½ cup avocado diced
- 1 small jicama peeled and julienned
- ½ cup currants
- 3 tablespoons lime juice fresh
- 1 medium lime zest
- 1 handful fresh mint cut chiffonade
- 2 handfuls baby spinach sliced
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa and place it into a saucepan with water and salt.
- Bring to the boil, and reduce to a simmer until the water has been absorbed and little tails are peeking out of the quinoa.
- Turn off the heat, place a piece of paper towel over the quinoa and cover with a lid. Allow to sit 15 minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork. You should have perfectly cooked quinoa with a delightful pop and slightly chewy texture. Leave to cool
- Meanwhile, cut the cheeks off the mangoes and dice. Cut the skin off the flesh around the pips and squeeze it all off into the bowl; the more juicy and squished up, the better.
- Combine the ingredients left in a big bowl and give a good mix. Set aside (in the fridge if it’s a hot day) until the quinoa is ready. Once the quinoa is cool, mix it in.