I am super picky about store-bought potato salads because they tend to be overly drenched in mayonnaise, too mushy or just completely flavourless. However, this American potato salad recipe is hands down the best mayo-based potato salad I’ve ever had and so easy to make that I’ll never buy store-bought again.
This recipe calls for the use of Yukon Gold potatoes which are my absolute favourite potato, especially for mashed potatoes. They have a rich golden colour and a delicious buttery flavour that is superior to other varieties. While you can substitute in another potato such as a Red Bliss, I highly recommend sticking with the Yukon Gold; they are a standout.
Instead of using dill pickles, I went for Kosher Dills as suggested in the recipe because I love the flavorful garlic kick they offer. You can opt to use any pickle you wish; for a sweeter flavour, try baby gherkins. Using the pickle juice in this American potato salad recipe gives the potatoes a nice tangy and lightly sweet taste instead of the harsh flavour of plain vinegar. Enjoy!
Very Filling American Potato Salad
- 2 large eggs hard-boiled and coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes Yukon Gold, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 3 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- ¼ cup dill pickles finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- Put your Yukon Gold potatoes in a pot and fill them with cold water. Allow to boil over high heat, add 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until your potatoes are tender, for about 10 to 15 minutes. A sharp knife should easily pierce through the potato without causing it to crumble to pieces.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly, then spread them out on a small rimmed baking sheet. Mix 2 tablespoons of pickle juice and mustard together in a small bowl. Drizzle the pickle juice mixture over the potatoes, gently toss to coat and refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of pickle juice, chopped pickles, 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt, black pepper, celery seed, mayonnaise, sour cream, red onion and celery in a large bowl. Toss in the cooled potatoes, cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Gently stir in the chopped eggs just before serving.