I really want to cook a vegetarian recipe, and I decided last night to try making this spinach salad with dates and almonds. It is light, healthy and has my favourite ingredients, spinach, pita bread and lemon juice.
I thought about making the salad healthier and replace the butter with olive oil. However, I´m glad I did not, as the pita bread tasted so amazing and has a spicy kick.
Spinach Salad With Dates and Almonds
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- 100 grams dates quartered
- 30 grams butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pieces pita bread roughly torn into pieces
- 75 grams whole almonds roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 150 grams spinach leaves washed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- Place the vinegar, red onion and dates in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well with your hands. Leave for 20 minutes and then drain the leftover vinegar.
- While the dates and red onion are marinating, heat the butter and half of the olive oil in a medium pan. Then add pita bread, almonds and chilli flakes and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the pita bread is crunchy and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Place the spinach in a mixing bowl, then add dates, red onion, remaining olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Toss gently, season to taste and serve immediately.