I love a delicious tortellini salad. Not only is it flavorful and delicious, but it is so easy to make as well. This is a recipe that you need to eyeball everything and adjust to your liking. You do not need to measure at all, which is why this recipe is a cinch to make. Plus, you can add in or take out anything you wish. Don’t love olives? Drop them! Like a lot of onion? Add more in! Prefer a drier salad? Use less oil! There are no rules when it comes to this tortellini salad; go with your gut and play around with the flavours until you’re happy with how it tastes.
I love this tortellini salad as a side dish to my BBQ meals in the summer, but it also makes a fantastic light lunch. You can even throw in a little grilled chicken and fresh mozzarella, and now you have an easy summer dinner or picnic lunch.
You may serve the salad cold or at room temperature; however, I prefer it somewhere in between. When the tortellini salad is too cold, you lose some flavours—allowing it to sit at room temperature for just a bit before serving allows all of the flavours to pop. Keep a little extra oil on hand as it tends to dry up just a bit in the fridge; add some oil and toss just before serving. Enjoy!
Amazing Summer Tortellini Salad
- 1 ½ pounds tortellini cheese, cooked al dente and cooled
- 1 can black olives sliced thick
- ½ pound olives Sicilian, pits removed and roughly torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil from the Sicilian cracked olives
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 small red pepper sliced
- 1 handful parsley torn
- 2 tablespoons live oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- Add the cheese tortellini, black olives, Sicilian olives, red onion, red pepper, and torn parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle the reserved oil from the Sicilian olives all over the salad. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and a healthy amount of ground black pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavours can come together. Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.