This tuna salad in tomato cups recipe doesn’t require any cooking, and when we tested the recipe, we already had all the ingredients on hand. You can mix the tuna salad up ahead of time, but don’t hollow the tomato cups until you’re almost ready to serve, as tomatoes will start to lose their fabulous aroma within 15 minutes of cutting. And, never, never refrigerate a tomato.
Hopefully, you have fresh dill growing in your herb garden; if not dried dill weed can be used – use 1/3 of the amount called for.
Tuna Salad in Tomato Cups
This tuna salad in tomato cups is an easy way to give variation to your regular tuna salad. It's tasty and healthy, so it's a win-win if you're health-conscious.
- 2 large tomatoes firm-ripe, about 8 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons sour cream reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- 1 6-ounce can white albacore tuna drained and coarsely flaked
- ½ cup baby peas
- ⅓ cup celery chopped
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 8 leaves butter lettuce rinsed and crisped
- 2 sprigs dill fresh, optional
- Rinse tomatoes. Slice ½ inch off the tomato top and reserve as lids. Carefully scoop out seeds and inner flesh. Leave the shell about ½ inch thick. Set tomatoes and caps, cut side down, on a paper towel to drain.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, vinegar, and red onion in a large bowl. Stir in tuna, peas, and celery. Mix lightly to coat evenly. Add pepper to taste.
- Line 2 plates with the lettuce leaves.
- Put the tuna mixture into the tomato cups, mounding slightly.
- Set cups on lettuce leaves (if tomatoes don’t sit flat, trim bottoms slightly).
- Garnish with tomato lid and a sprig of dill (if using).
Calories: 241kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 5gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 155mgPotassium: 756mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 3977IUVitamin C: 44mgCalcium: 86mgIron: 2mg
Feedback is key!Let us know how this recipe worked out for you.