I love when summer squash, zucchini and pattypan squash start turning up at the Farmer’s Market. They’re so much sweeter and more flavorful than their grocery store counterparts, and you can usually find a few little tiny guys that are just so beautiful. Have I mentioned I love miniature produce? Yes, well, something about a small zucchini is just so much more fun than a big one. So I prepared this Chilled Quinoa Salad With Grilled Summer Vegetables to use the veggies I bought.
- 2/3 cup of dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup of prepared chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Sash of black pepper
- Early on the day, you want to make the dish, or the night before, soak the quinoa for about 10 minutes, “scrubbing” the grains and swishing the water with your hands a few times.
- Rinse the quinoa in fine mesh strainers and then pour into a pot. Add 1 and 1/3 cup of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Once it starts tp boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until the water is gone. Set in the fridge to chill.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, gently combine the cooled quinoa, chickpeas, most of the chopped parsley (reserving a bit for topping), and the feta.
- Stir together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, turn on the grill to medium heat.
- Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Lay them out on the grill tray/basket and spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Grill the vegetables until slightly charred and tender, about ten minutes.
- Combine the quinoa mixture with the sauce. Plate the quinoa for each serving and top with the grilled vegetables. Sprinkle a bit of parsley over. Eat!