This quick chickpea salad can be served on its own, wrapped in a tortilla, or as part of a bowl with mixed greens and grains.
Based on a cold chicken and apricot salad that I used to make, this curried chickpea salad has been adapted to be entirely plant-based and uses puréed avocado and peach slices as the base of the dressing. It’s an exciting mix of flavours that somehow work together. My young nephew told me, “the apple makes it [explosion sound with hand gesture]”.
Saucy Curried Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 large green apple chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup cranberries dried
- ½ medium avocado chopped
- 1 medium peach peeled and sliced, or 1/2 cup of frozen peach slices
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon curry powder mild
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the chickpeas, apple, walnuts and cranberries in a medium bowl or serving dish.
- Combine the avocado, peach, maple syrup, curry powder, mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and pepper in a small bowl or measuring cup. Use an immersion blender to purée everything until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular blender or food processor to purée.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chickpea mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve on its own, in a wrap, or as part of a bowl with mixed greens and the grain of your choice.