Mama’s Easy Tuscan Tomato Salad. As I’m heading for new adventures and so many changes in the next couple of weeks, I find comfort in taking the things that I know with me. One of those things, as silly as it may sound, is my hands down absolute favorite recipe: my mama’s Tuscan tomato salad. In my family, it has been handed down from generation to generation.
My mother has always made me this Tuscan tomato salad during a special event, when I’d come home to visit, to cheer me up, or just because (because she’s literally THE most amazing and best mother in this world, and I love her dearly.)
Obviously, you have to be a tomato lover in order to appreciate and enjoy this recipe, but what I love most is the addictive flavor and versatility of this dish. You can try adding other veggies in or salad leave it as is for a refreshing Tuscan summer salad taste. Oh, and a double bonus: I’ve tried this Tuscan tomato salad recipe on my friends, and they all loved it; so not only are you eating well, but those special people will think you’re a kitchen goddess, and duh, you are.
Mama’s Easy Tuscan Tomato Salad
- 5 pieces Roma tomatoes cut into halves, add more if you desire
- ½ small red onion (or to taste), finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 handful basil to taste (i use a lot)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Combine onion and tomatoes in a bowl once they are cut and chopped.
- Add the olive oil.
- Grind the oregano and basil in a mortar and pestle (if you don’t have one, DON’T WORRY!!! just pour some in the palm of your hand and grind your palms together over the bowl. This will release the flavor much more effectively.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the red wine vinegar and stir.
- This is important: Let this sit for at least an hour. The flavors need to blend and marinade. So go ahead and go to the gym, do your laundry, or better, Call your mom and express your gratitude to her! The longer you let it sit, the better it’s going to taste.