There is just something about fresh arugula and baby spinach that screams healthy. For the record, I don’t remember ever having tried arugula before today. No, I don’t live under a rock. I’m just too lazy to buy anything other than romaine. And I was able to make this delicious arugula spinach salad.
I love red onions. A lot. And I’m not a huge onion fan. But, did you know (no, of course not) that when I was little, I would eat cucumbers like they were going out of style? I could eat a whole cucumber by myself, for dinner or breakfast.
I should have waited to throw the cucumbers and onions in after drizzling the lemon dressing on the leafy greens. I never learn and always end up with all the ‘heavy’ ingredients at the bottom of the bowl. Don’t be like me.
There you have it – our healthy Monday night dinner. Broiled tomato, arugula spinach salad, and sockeye salmon with pesto. And we may or may not have eaten a cookie to complete our meal.
- 4 handfuls of fresh arugula
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped cucumber
- 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of grated parmesan cheese plus more to serve
- In a large bowl, mix arugula and baby spinach.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and grated parmesan in a small dish. Add to the leafy green mix, tossing to ensure an even coating of dressing. Add in the chopped cucumber and red onion. Toss to incorporate flavours and ingredients fully.
- Serve, sprinkling a bit of grated parmesan (or shave some of the real stuff!) to garnish.