I love-love chicken salad. It’s fast and simple to make — two characteristics valued highly by my rumbling stomach. And here’s a speedy secret for you: I like to start with canned chicken. Yes, canned chicken. And then I get creative with what I add to it. There are, like, a zillion different ways to make a tasty chicken salad — like this one — but right now, this fiesta chicken salad recipe, right here, is where the spotlight is.
And how could I not love this recipe? I mean, look at that avocado. Right? And avocado is one of my top-ten favourite foods. Luckily, it’s also a top-ten healthy food. And what’s particularly fab about this dish is that I replaced the unhealthy saturated fat that typically comes from mayo with a creamy, delicious avocado base. So you’ll get a lot of flavours and healthy fat to boot.
Enjoy this fiesta chicken salad on its own, or roll it in a lettuce leaf to enjoy taco-style, as I do.
Delectable Fiesta Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 medium avocados
- 4 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 30 ounces chicken drained and cubed
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Pit one avocado and empty the contents with Greek Yogurt and sriracha into a bowl.
- Mash and blend well together with an immersion blender (you can also use beaters) until it’s whipped into a creamy smooth base.
- Add the drained chicken and pico de gallo or cowboy caviar (make sure to drain the juices from it before adding to the bowl). If you like more chunks in your chicken salad, add a greater amount of pico.
- Mix ingredients well with a spatula and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice up the remaining avocado.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of chicken salad into a romaine lettuce leaf, top off with a slice of avocado. Enjoy as many as you’d like!